Copy Machine Codes Revisited???????
This is a concern that was raised by a staff member, "I was in the copy room today and saw that someone was copying a 35+ page document 40 times. The document was one sided and could have been two sided. That is nearly three reams of paper (1400 copies!). Let's begin the discussion of having personal copying numbers.....Or who really cares?"
Is this worth discussing?
(As a side note, the district sent out a many paged document to every teacher about administrative internships that was probably of interest to a handful of teachers. This got quite a bit of teacher comment)
--

8 Comments:
Did anyone ask the person why they were copying so much? In the past there has been a shortage of books in some departments, and teachers have made one class set to reuse for a couple of years. Perhaps buying the books would be cheaper.
John Moen said:
I think we can self regulate without putting in codes. Perhaps a reminder, a sign in the copy rooms posting the cost for copies could help to maintain perspective. Maybe a quick presentation at a staff meeting on how to conserve paper such as double siding, printing 1/2 pages (especially for progress reports) or any other tips we can come up with. 1400 is a LOT of paper and expense, let's hope the project was worth it.
Bret PE Dept - Since some classes have no text books people need to make copies. Maybe be more prudent when making copies
This may not be the right place, but it is related. It looks like the newer printers go through cartridges more quickly than the older models. At least that has been the case in the library. I like John's idea about educating all of us on the most efficient use of printers, copiers, and district printing. The need for printing materials for class use will not go down in the near future, but I think that we can be more economical and selective about what we print and how we print. Leonard
(Jeanie) Having come from a large high school where numbers were issued for copying, my experience is that is works to keep individual and dept. budgets in line and tracked. Each dept. just has to decide how much they are willing to spend out of their budgets. Unlimited printing has been the accepted norm here with reminders about how to conserve.
The 1400 copy project was not a textbook.
Chris, math:
I agree some classes are short text books, but should we copy them off or should we purchase additional books? Which way is the most cost effective? Plus, if I were to copy off a textbook, shouldn't I keep it for next year (thus resulting in less cpoies) or should I just issue one to each student and never recollect them (a very large waste of resources).
In English/social studies, we do make copies instead of textbooks, and we do keep them from year-to-year. However, our curriculum frequently changes, so there are new things to copy every year. I like the idea of a quick reminder and review of copy procedures. I think we are all well-intentioned, but, sometimes we get in a hurry. It doesn't hurt to bring it to our attention again. I don't like the idea of copy numbers--I think we are getting so much regulation that we are beginning to feel stifled. It makes me feel like Big Brother is looking over my shoulder. The last time we had copy numbers, we all found out what Mel Eaton's number was and used his. --Diane
Post a Comment
<< Home